Friday, August 28, 2009

Week 6 (May 11-17): Personal Weapons Qualification, MK-19, BFS, ROE, Detainee OPS, and airplane rides.

This week was a good mix of range time and classroom time. We spend Monday qualifying on our personal weapons the M4 and M9. Tuesday we spent at the range becoming familiar with the MK-19, automatic grenade launcher. Wednesday through Friday we spent in the classroom learning about BFS (Basic Fire Support), ROE (Rules of Engagement), Media Awareness, and Detainee Operations.

This is picture of me driving the HMMWV to the range on Monday. Excited to start the new week. Can’t believe I’m getting paid to do this.

NEED PICTURES FROM DJs photos.

Our Basic Fire Support (BFS) class was a lecture followed by a computer simulator where we practiced the 9-line commands. We practiced fire support on the following targets on the left side of the screen. They taught us how to bracket the target and estimate ranges and directions. I felt this was a useful course which I hope to never need to use.

On Thursday and Friday we had multiple lectures on Rules of Engagement, General Orders, Fraternization, Ethics, Code of Conduct, Graduated Response, and Media Awareness. Detainee Operations on Friday taught us how to handle captured enemies. We had a half day practical where we practiced securing a building and used our skills to search out the homes and document the captured prisoners.

The rest of the classes were enjoyed by all... As you can see LT Josh Meador (right), a family physician from Naval Hospital Lemoore, was smiling in the back of the classroom during our ROE class. CDR Lach Noyes, the general surgeon from NH Pensacola, appears to be enjoying some shut-eye. Lach was actually my surgery staff when I was an intern in NH Pensacola. The Navy is a small place were a past teacher can become a peer in only a couple of years. I’m looking forward to work with Lach in improving the ANA hospital in Kabul.

Here’s a great picture of myself and CDR Tim Foster an HCA from NH Pensacola. This is just before we flew to Hermann, MO. I went to visit an old friend Mike Rothermich and Tim Foster met up with his wife and five children in St. Louis. Tim flew the entire way and I got to catch up on my sleep.

Mike and his son Aaron flying the airplane.

Over seven years, since we last saw each other. Mike was an intern with me in NH Pensacola. He eventually became Chief of Residents, went to NH Guam, and was promoted two years below zone. We played rugby together at Pensacola and you can see I wore the warm-ups from the Pensacola rugby team.

I spent a great weekend in Hermann, MO. Got a personal tour of Mike’s family practice office, the hospital where he’s the medical director at and took in some of the local sights and beers.

Prior to us departing, Tim brought his family out to the airplane and I had the opportunity to give them all rides.

Sarah, the eldest daughter, I heard was now planning on taking glider lessons.

On our way back, Tim and I stopped to refuel at Gardner Municipal Airport, the “Best Little Airport in Kansas”. It is located just west of Kansas City. We took off from their grass strip. I hadn’t had the opportunity to fly off a grass strip in over five years. I noticed while I was out here that Kansas and Missouri were quite found of their grass strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment